A log cabin can be a functional hunting retreat, a luxurious vacation home, or even a unique and elegant residence, and finding the cheapest log home kits will help any interested homeowner build the log cabin of their dreams without a nightmare budget.
The Appeal of Log Homes
Log cabins and homes, with their rustic architecture, stunning layouts, and relaxing design, are appealing to many homeowners. Whether the home is intended for a seasonal vacation getaway, a rental investment, a hunting lodge, or a year-round residence, a log home offers natural beauty and unique design that anyone can enjoy. Log homes, however, can be extravagantly expensive and may not be within the price range for most prospective homeowners, particularly if they prefer a large piece of land or a more secluded location that will be expensive even before the home is built.
Log Home Kits
Log home kits make a dream cabin much more affordable. Compared to a custom-built log home, a cabin kit can save owners 20-to-60 percent of the cost of their new cabin, depending on the amount of do-it-yourself initiative they employ and the options they choose. Companies typically provide the architectural plans for the home, detailed building guidelines, precut and numbered logs, and some level of support during the building process.
The price for log home kits ranges from $30 to $200 per square foot depending on a number of factors, including:
- Type of wood and processing methods
- Floor plan intricacy and size
- Interior and exterior finishing details
- Log cut design
- Customized options
- Materials shipping costs
- On-site support options
Overall, a cheap log cabin kit for a basic, small design may be very affordable, but a more extensive, elaborate kit may be much more expensive. Homeowners do have several options, however, for getting the most value out of their kit regardless of the price.
Finding the Cheapest Log Home Kits
The first step to finding less expensive log home kits is to comparison shop between different manufacturers and choose the one offering the best kit at the most reasonable price. Homeowners should be aware, however, that this won't always be the cheapest price - with this type of long-term purchase, it is important to have a good value home for your budget, but not to skip on luxuries and amenities that are important to you. Balancing affordability and desirability will help you find the cheapest log home kits that meet your needs.
Keeping Expenses Low
When choosing a cheap log cabin kit, the best way to lower the price is to select an appropriate style of home for your budget. Tricks about how to save money building a cabin include:
- Looking for a local manufacturer to minimize shipping costs. Wholesale manufacturers can also offer better prices because there is no retail surcharge from a dealer.
- Choose a plan suitable for the intended cabin location so extensive modifications aren't necessary to adapt the floor plan to the land lot.
- Choose a floor plan that meets your needs but does not include extravagant and expensive extras you don't need or won't use. A five-bedroom plan with a loft, Jacuzzi, and balcony deck may be attractive, but if those extras aren't necessary right now, trimming them can drastically trim the price.
- Opt for an energy efficient floor plan and materials to save money on energy and other costs of living in the home.
- Do all customization consultation prior to approving the floor plan. Redrawing architectural plans can be expensive, and modifying plans after they've been approved and the kit construction is underway can result in hefty fees.
- Carefully read all contracts and kit lists to determine what is and is not included. Two similar floor plans may have drastically different costs, but one may not include the roof, plumbing, windows, or other essentials that will make the final price much higher.
- Calculate the final price by adding in any supervision costs, shipping charges, on-site consulting fees, and other surcharges to get an accurate total.
- Before ordering a kit or signing a contract, carefully investigate the manufacturer through the Better Business Bureau and industry organizations. Ask about guarantees and warrantees, construction support, and financing assistance if necessary.
- Look for package discounts and incentive offers such as materials discounts, free upgrades, discount appliances, or signing bonuses that can make a good deal even better.
To find the cheapest log home kits, investigate multiple manufacturers and get quotes on their products and services. These manufacturers offer a wide range of cabin kits with floor plans in different sizes and layouts:
- Kuhns Brothers
- Appalachian Log Homes
- Lincoln Logs International
- Merrimac Log Homes
- Frontier Log Homes
- Timberland Cabins
- Cabin Kit Homes
A log home can be a dream home or a budgetary nightmare. Luxury doesn't have to be expensive, however, and a log cabin kit makes building that getaway retreat more affordable and attainable.