Americans love pets. According to The Week, the pet population in the United States now outnumbers the human population. Pets are big business too, with their owners spending $53 billion on them in 2012. That's an average of approximately $168 for every man, woman and child. If you can't afford to spend that kind of scratch on your pet, or even if you can, there are plenty of companies willing to lend a helping hand with some free products.
Many pet product brands offer try-before-you-buy promotions in the hopes of winning your business. Some of these include:
- Dog and Cat Vitamins: Dr. Deva Khalsa and Deserving Pets partnered to create human-grade multivitamins to ensure optimal nutrition for dogs and cats. They offer two free samples when you register on their website. Select samples for your dog, cat, or both.
- Rachael Ray Nutrish®: You may know her as the television cook who whips up amazing meals in 30 minutes or less, but Rachael Ray also cares deeply for animals. She worked with a group of scientists to create a healthy, preservative-free line of dog foods. Proceeds from the sale of Nutrish are donated to Rachael's Rescue, an organization that helps pets in need. Just fill out the form in the first link to receive your free sample.
- Minties: Banish doggie breath with Minties. In order to qualify for the free sample, you must "like" their page on Facebook.
- Pet Bounce: This multivitamin has formulas for both dogs and cats. It comes in a chewable wafer and contains Reservatrol. Fill out the form to receive your free sample.
Websites Listing Pet Freebies
Several websites allow people to share offers for pet freebies and samples that they received from manufacturers or found elsewhere. These sites sometimes offer a broad variety of products, and you may find some duplication between them. Check in frequently to find the most recent offers.
- Hunt4Freebies: This site posts offers for all types of free offers, but this page is dedicated specifically to pet offers. Most are for food products.
- Vonnbeau: Like Hunt4Freebies, this site offers a broad range of free products. The bulk of the pet offers are for food.
- Scam-Free Samples: While some sites require you to fill out a survey in order to qualify for freebies, this one does not. Offers are for both dogs and cats, and are mostly for food products.
- I Love Cats: This site is strictly for cat lovers, and contains a huge range of free offers. Not only will you find food products here, but also recipes, cat games, and even your own cat email address.
Pet samples and freebies aren't only for pets; sometimes they are for pet enthusiasts too.
- PETA Kids: This is the kids' version of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) site. This page offers free items for children, like comic books, stickers and icons. All are geared toward teaching children about animal welfare.
- Printable Calendars: This online tool allows you to print your own animal-themed calendar. You can print by the month or the year, and dates go out as far as 2022. You may also choose to print your calendar on magnetic paper.
- VistaPrint: While this company is widely known for their business cards, they also offer promotional items -- and they give away free samples. When ordering your mouse pad, tote bag, or coffee mug, you can choose from one of their animal-themed templates or upload a photo of your own pet.
- ringtones: Do you miss your pet when you're away from home? Now you can download a ringtone of a barking dog or record the voice of your own pet.
- iPhone Wallpapers: To complement your new ringtone, download one of these animal-themed wallpapers. There are dozens to choose from, or create one featuring your own pet.
- ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) offers a good many free products and services. These range from safety packs, to spaying or neutering, to free adoptions. Some offers are situation- or location-specific.
- Bring Fidos: This site offers a free worldwide information exchange, letting owners know where pets are welcome. These range from pet events, to pet friendly beaches and hotels.
Something for Everyone
From free food samples to ringtones, these resources provide new ways to care for or honor your pet. So cuddle up with your favorite furry -or not so furry- friend and consider which offers are right for you. Offers change frequently, so check the sites often.